Saturday, December 11, 2010

A Moringa tree competition!

A friend by the name of Sunny Miller, who also loves to grow things, was kind enough to lend me a book whose topic is a most interesting tree. The title of the book is MoringaNature’s Medicine Cabinet. It was written by Sanford Holst, a ranger in California who works for the U.S. Forest Service. He is also best known for his book called LifeCycle which provides the reader with a healthy and natural approach to life.

What inspired me the most this tree which is native to India, were the stories about its medicinal properties, and the fact that most of it can be eaten or used for other purposes. (Even the flowers can be eaten with some reporting that they taste like a mushroom). Interesting.

So, of course, I just had to try and grow one even though they cannot handle the hard frosts we sometimes get where I live. That will mean growing it in a large container that can be brought inside. (My current thinking will be to get one growing this winter and then take it outside where it will absolutely love the hot summers here in southwest Missouri). By next fall, I can bring it indoors where I also have a sodium discharge lamp that should provide more than enough light. This sounds like it may be a long term project!

I’ve just ordered the seeds from a company called Seeds of India and will plan on follow up blogs, if and when, I get some to germinate. I will be in competition with Sunny to see who can produce the first flower. Her first name may just give her the edge!

1 comment:

Excalibur said...

I grow Moringa trees, and write about it online, anywhere I can, and whenever I get the time.

You are in for a delightful experience! If you look for "Morey", my little copyrighted Moringa character, you see links to show you some of our Moringa trees. I just cannot get enough of it, and hope you grow to love it as much as we do!