Thursday, November 5, 2015

A pepper seed germination experiment! Nov 2015 style!

November 5, 2015 - For lack of anything else constructive to do, I took a small Styrofoam container that had coleslaw in it from a meal I'd purchased at a local restaurant, add some potting mix along with four seeds from a pepper I'd harvest just a week earlier. Since eat fruit had so many seeds, I though I could save myself a little bit of money latter this year when I had planned to start some plants for the 2016 season. I had had great luck with a couple of container grown versions over the past summer and was anxious to see if this little experiment would work out.
Four seeds are just visible

As I had just moved from a stick built house with land to a condo with just west facing balcony, my choices for veggies that I can grow have become more limited. No problem, really, I'd been in a similar situation before and did quite well. And, at my advanced age, it will be a relief to have to tend to just a few containers this go around. Note that each seed was planted at a depth of about a quarter inch.
Still producing in Nov!

This little 'seed incubator' was placed on a south facing window where it will get a little sun. Holes in both the bottom and the top will insure a good supply of water and air respectively. I'll be sure and update this post in a week or so with the results!

Dec 11, 2015 - A quick update. All the seeds germinated and I am now looking for a small pot to transfer the little guys to....

Jan 3, 2016 - Three of the little guys have made it through the transplant process and are doing well.


No comments: