Friday, November 11, 2016

Waiting for the spring!



Forsyth MO - Summer is now over and the air over southwest Missouri has taken on the distinct feel of autumn. And, while my brave little cherry tomato plant is still cranking out tomatoes, I can see the writing on the wall...

So, here comes what I call the 'dark months'. December through March have little to offer a man who like his veggies fresh off the vine. I'll have to content myself with produce grown in far off countries who may or may not have banned such fun pesticides as DDT. Were my country not constantly engaged in war, we perhaps could have constructed 'Megagreen Domes' under which hundreds of acres of fertile soil grow organic vegetables using the light from millions of LED's! Air would be circulated by giant fans powered by solar arrays with water coming from super condensers. Such a self-contained environment could even support select insects like bees that could help with pollination. You see, if you could divert the flow of trillions of dollars from a war machine, you'd have the ability to do such wonderful things.

That, as they say, ain't gonna happen. So, I find myself already in the planning stages of growing a future spring crop of peppers and tomatoes on my condo balcony. Last summer and fall, I did not have to buy any of these at the store and my pots produced just enough to keep me supplied.

See you all in the spring!

No comments: