Saturday, February 27, 2010

It's time for some cold frame lettuce!



It’s almost March now, just a couple of days away. Here in southwest Missouri, you can see how much more bright the days are as the sun now arcs ever higher across the sky. The temperatures are now beginning to respond a little to the increased sunlight. Today, February the 27th, it we had temps in the mid forties and I can tell you…compared to just a few weeks ago that is warm! With the window sash over the top of the cold frame the air quickly warms into the mid sixties. This is perfect weather for romaine lettuce and radishes.  I just happen to have some seed left over from last season and decided the time was right to put them to good use.

So, with no further ado, I went out this afternoon and prepped the ground in my first cold frame. The space is on the small side, but you’d be amazed at the amount of lettuce I can get from this space. The actual size is just under 24” x 36 inches of growing space or 6 square feet of total growing area. I have two of these frames in the front yard which can provide me with quite a bit of early spring lettuce. The picture at right shows lettuce that was actually planted last fall and even though the plants are small, they are a welcome addition to the dinner table.

My method of planting at this time of year is simple and stupid. I just broadcast some lettuce and radish seed in a random pattern, then wet the surface down, cover everything with newspaper and then water it again. Total time spent was about 15 minutes if that. After covering up the frame, the sun immediately elevated the inside reading to 65F while it was 46F outside. In about four or five days, I’ll take a peek under the newspaper and see what’s germinated. Because it’s still cool outside (and cold at nights) I don’t have to worry much about the top layer of soil drying out. The window sashes also act as a moisture barrier. Kind of a ‘SET IT AND FORGET IT’ deal. My apologies to Ronco.

With a little luck and some supervision, I should have a good harvest sometime in mid to late April or about the time most people are just getting started in their raised beds. Of course, I’ll post an update at that time. Happy gardening!

No comments: