Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Growing garlic in a pot!


After doing some research on the internet, I came to the conclusion that planting garlic is not a very success prone venture unless you know exactly what you’re doing. Which I don’t. But, that’s never stopped me before and it won’t this time.

Now according to people who know about garlic, in Missouri Zone 6 you are supposed to plant garlic in mid October. Outside that is as in the garden. I elected to plant mine on February the 6th inside in a plastic 12” pot.

Next, according to those who know, you cut off the growing tips on about Memorial Day (late May) and then harvest them in July. By doing the cutting, the plant will supposedly put all its energy into making bulbs. OK? That sounds reasonable to me. I know for sure that if someone came around with scissors and cut my growing point off, I would immediately (after the pain subsided) focus on developing larger cojones. Right you are Fred!

So, with all the pomp and circumstance I could muster on short notice, I took two cloves that were growing all by themselves in the cupboard and plunked them down into a pot filled with fertilized potting mix (another no-no? Who knows)? These were then relegated to a spot that is sort of sunny in a window where they will suffer the occasional watering whenever I get to it care regime. A regime that, I will admit, is notorious for killing most everything that came before.

Stay tuned to this blog for updates. I do hope to get something for my five minutes of effort. This is America isn’t it?

No comments: