Thursday, February 9, 2012

Time for the planting of the onion sets!



By gosh and by golly! It’s getting near time for me to plant out some onion sets! I don’t know about the rest of you, but when I see a display of these at my local grocery store I know spring is just around the corner!

I bought this small batch for about a dollar ten (there’s about a pound) and think that may just be enough for an early planting in one of the raised beds out back. Course, I’ll have to wait until the cold front they are advertizing for the weekend comes and goes. Temperatures are supposed to get down to the teens and I even hear talk of a little snow. If that last part’s true, then I’d say bout time!

Later in the month of March, I’m hoping to install a new cold frame in my front yard! I plan to order one of those ‘fancy’ store bought jobs that will look appealing for being in such plain view. This 4 x 8 foot bed will also get some really good soil, sand and amendments to insure a bumper crop.

Why the front yard? Well, truth be told, the deer round these parts are a pain in the rump when it comes helping themselves to my back beds. So, this year I hope the new location will work a little better as they tend to be shy of the street traffic. That’s the plan anyway!

No comments: