Tuesday, July 1, 2008


Chili Experiment #2

This second batch was similar to the first, with the exception that I used the following new additives:

1 small Bananarama bell pepper

½ tsp brown sugar

¼ tsp vinegar, white

2 green onions

1 tsp basil, dried

1 pc bacon, chopped

Dash salt, pepper and garlic salt

I also used extra lean 93/7 hamburger 0.93 lb that cost 3.89 per lb for a total of $3.62.

The chili mix was a package of McCormick Hot Chili seasoning Mix. I also did this deal in the crockpot after first cooking the hamburger and bacon and green onions in a pan over medium heat.

The beans and tomatoes remained the same so from a nutritional standpoint the only real changes were the brown sugar and the bacon.

This meal was begun at 4PM in the afternoon. I was also the sole judge this time.

Results:

I was able to make five 7 ounce tubs for storage from this run. All tubs were marked and placed in the deep freeze in the garage. I had enough left for a few tablespoons.

Not too bad. You definitely feel the increased heat with this dish. No doubt due to the package mix. Not a dish my father would approve of. I like this a little more than #1 and want to continue experimenting in this direction, but with the following changes:

1) I would like the chili to be a little milder – this may take care of itself when I add some crackers and shredded cheese with I did not have for the taste test.

2) I would like to add more onions and bell pepper pieces. I like the added crunch.

3) I could see just a few more beans in this dish.

4) I did not miss the corn.

No comments: