Tuesday, December 16, 2008

I’m Making Soup – Vegetable Soup!


It’s one of those cold dreary days when you don’t want to go anywhere you don’t have to. The kind of day that shouts SOUP! Not being one to put off my urges, I threw together the following ingredients I had lying around;

5 oz beef stew meat, cut into small pieces.

  • 1 can of diced tomatoes
  • 1 can of cut green beans, rinsed
  • 1 can of beef stock
  • 1 can of water
  • ½ medium potato, chopped
  • ½ onion, chopped
  • 1 carrot, sliced
  • 1 celery stalk, chopped
  • 1 wedge of green cabbage
  • 1 beef bouillon cube

I found an old pot with a lid. Like me it’s pretty beat up but often contains some pretty good stuff. Placed it on a preheated stove burner and added a small amount of beef. In my world, vegetable soup should taste like vegetables with just a background of meat flavor present.


After braising the beef for a few minutes, I added the onion and then allowed it to go for another minute or so. Next, in went the rest of the ingredients. Did I mention my recipes are also a reflection of my personality, simple and stupid.


On goes the cover and the heat is reduced to a light simmer for about forty five minutes or until I decree that the key veggies are done. Just how done things get is often determined by how hungry I am at the time.


No comments: