Sunday, October 11, 2009

Cold Frame October 2009 Update - Romaine lettuce



It’s been some time since I made an entry concerning the two small cold frames I maintain at my home in southwest Missouri. True, while they aren’t much to look at, they still make me smile every time I harvest something that was grown in them.

Right now I have a fall planting of romaine lettuce with a few radishes that were seeded in early September. Now as it is getting toward mid October, they are all beginning to look like something that will make it to the kitchen before too long. Even if the temps go down to freezing, I know from past experience, that the lettuce will come through in fine shape. Later in the year, if I still have something in the frames by, say December, I’ll just put the window sashes over them and even though they will cease growing very much, I’ll be able to keep them in edible condition right through the winter if I so desire!

When these plants get a little larger, I’ll post a follow up blog.

No comments: