Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Carrots have been a real surprise for me!

Carrots have proven to a real surprise to me this last year. I’d never planted them before because I’d heard the tiny seeds were finicky and difficult to germinate. I also figured the soil had to be super soft and free of rocks for the roots to grow into straight and true carrots. Well, that turned out to be a load of bunk. Now true, I planted a variety called Short and Sweet which is a variety that is meant for heavier soils and also true, I did not always get the honkers you see in the grocery store. But, so what! I have been overjoyed with two facts. One, they are super easy to grow. And, once they do germinate they are a breeze to car for. (More like weeds than anything else). In order to beat the germination deal, I simply waited for a week in the spring when I knew it was forecast to be overcast and rainy. I then planted the seeds being careful to give them good spacing. I then covered the soil where they were shallowly planted with a bit of damp newspaper. Voila, I was done! A week later when I peeked under the paper, here are all these little dudes poking up out of the soil. From that point on, I just made sure to keep them watered and before I knew it, that fall I had more carrots than I could eat! Oh, and number two! I found that carrots over winter very nice in the soil as you can see in the pictures. They taste fantastic and they are a nice surprise when nothing else is growing yet.


Nutrition: In order below is the description, grams weight, ounces, raw calories, calories from fat, sodium, cholesterol and carbohydrates from the serving you see pictured.


Carrots 123 4.3 50.4 2.0 84.7 0.0 11.7

No comments: