Saturday, March 2, 2013

Vegetable gardens that make an impact on personal finances!

When I say a vegetable garden should have lots of impact, I’m talking about that term in the context of the year 2013, a time when food prices may skyrocket.

Today is March the 1st and two things come to mind; 1) this is the day when across the board cuts in both the government and the military are due to start and 2) a visit to the grocery store reminded me of why a vegetable garden can have some import on ones life.

Iceberg lettuce at $2 a head, bell peppers at $1 and even yellow onions going for .99 a pound were things that struck me this day. A fellow shopper and friend I ran into also remarked at the insanely high price of vegetables while showing me his pitiful pile of purchases resting in the bottom of his shopping cart. I smiled (inwardly) and agreed with him having gone down that same isle myself at little earlier. Only, for my part, I passed on the bell pepper for a buck deal. Way too expensive for my meager budget.

In another post, I talked about trying to grow the ‘perfect’ onions from sets. Actually, that may not be fair, as I feel any edible vegetable to be ‘perfect’ in some way. The main thing is to make sure you prepare you garden soil as early in the spring as you can work it and that you make a plan on what to plant and follow through. I.E. – that you actually end up with something for the plate or stew pot that also doesn’t cost you an arm and a leg! In my case, and for this season, I’m going to focus on high impact vegetables that will reduce the pain at the produce isle as much as possible! Here are my top five are in no particular order:

Potatoes – sure at $2.99 for a five pound bag, you might not think the lowly potato a good choice. However, given the fact that they are so easy to grow and that they offer a calorie per gram, I’m making sure to sow a four by four foot area this spring.

Carrots – When you talk about a vegetable that is both highly productive and nutritious, then the carrot goes far in my mind. An added plus is the small amount of space needed to produce a harvest that can keep over the next winter in the ground to be used a needed!

Bell Peppers – This is a ‘must have’ item in my book – I use bell peppers a lot in my salads during the summer as a substitute for celery which I cannot grow and which seem to remain high all year long in terms of cost. Due to the long growing cycle, I also purchase these as starts and don’t bother to grow them from seed. The small added cost in the spring is still offset come fall when these guys rise rapidly in price. They also can be chopped and frozen to be used in chilis and such over the winter! In this category are included a few plantings of Habanera’s and Long Red cayenne’s.

Romaine – These hearty versions of the watery iceberg lettuce I buy at the grocery store are much more nutritious and even a small planting, when properly spaced, go a long way! I plant this easy to grow veggie in the spring and then again in the fall. For the winter period, I also make sure to start some in cold frames in October so that they get to edible size and then go into ‘suspended animation’ inside the closed frames over the winter months!

Onions – When grown from sets, onions are almost a no brainer vegetable to grow. They can be planted together or thrown around into odd places all around the garden. And, while they may lack a bit in the nutritional department, they more than make up for that in terms of versatility around the kitchen. I used them in salads, as a topping on hamburgers and in most of my vegetable soup creations!

Well, that rounds out the list of my must have, high impact vegetables for the spring of 2013. And, while I surly will plant some other varieties (cherry tomatoes come to mind), I think these five will have the biggest impact in terms of saving a few bucks over the coming year!

No comments: