Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Boy, It's Cold Out There!

We had our first arctic blast of the season last night when temperatures got down to 28 Fahrenheit for the first time. That was cold enough to put an end to my few surviving plants out in the garden. My cold frame, however, came through in great shape. You can check out my video of the building of a cold frame at Building a Cold Frame.

At 6AM this morning when it did hit 28 degrees, the temperature inside theCF was a toasty 45F. That’s warm enough for lettuce to survive. I looked it up and the optimum temperature range for this cold hardy crop is 45F to 65F so that is good news. Now mind you, I did have a blanket draped over the frame last night and that more than likely helped. The good news is that I don’t think we have many nights that get that cold even in January. We’ll just have to see won’t we?

No comments: