Saturday, September 26, 2009

Notebook Stuffed Banana Peppers



So, at the end of the growing season I found myself with quite a few Banana peppers, some time on my hands and the desire to do a little experimental cooking. Now, I’ve stuffed bell peppers in the past, but never anything like this. My thinking was ‘How hard can it be?’ Duh!

My plan was to use a standard stuffing mix and to perhaps try cooking them in the slow cooker rather than an oven. I like the way a crock pot works. Just load em in and let em go for about five to six hours on low.

The recipe was doodled together as is pictured at right. In case you can’t read the ingredients list, here it is;

1 lb ground beef

12 banana peppers, de-seeded and cut long ways

1 8 oz. can tomato sauce

1 Tblsp. Parsley, dried or fresh

1 Tblsp. Basil, dried or fresh

1 Tsp. olive oil

¼ cup instant rice

1 dash dill seed, ground

1 small egg, beaten

2 Tblsp. Shredded cheddar cheese

De-seed the peppers and wash them in cold water, then put aside. Mixed the rest of the ingredients (use only half the cheese and tomato sauce) and then knead everything in a large bowl. (Just like you were making meatloaf). Next, stuff the pepper halves with the meat sauce and make a single layer of these in the bottom of a large crock pot. Carefully add a little tomato sauce to just cover each pepper, then add a sprinkling of cheese. Cover this with a sheet of aluminum foil.

Cover and cook on low for at least five hours.  When and if I ever get these made, I’ll post some pictures and comments.


No comments: