Sunday, April 11, 2010

Romaine is for real!

While I’m waiting for my main bed lettuce to develop this spring, I have been harvesting romaine lettuce from my small cold frames that are in the front yard. The variety is called Little Caesar and they are sold by Burpee seed. I currently have about 6 mature plants and ten more that are just beginning to take off. The neat thing is I have been eating lettuce out of both cold frames for the entire winter and now on into spring. While none of these plants are as big as what I will get from the raised beds later on, they still taste great and each little head is enough to make two full salads. The picture here shows the leaves from a 58 gram head that was harvested earlier today. I generally will add these to salads that are a hodgepodge of whatever is in the frig along with what I can scrounge out of the garden. Right now, that would be radishes, green onions, chives and carrots from the previous season.

Romaine lettuce is a very hardy plant that is much more nutritional than the traditional iceberg lettuce you get out of grocery stores. I would recommend everyone try growing some.

No comments: