Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Moringa trees are now over six feet tall!

Well, it seems there’s at least one kind of plant that seems to enjoy hundred plus heat. My two Moringa trees have really grown this summer with one that is now over six feet in height! I may even have to buy a larger pot!

What’s even more exciting are the flowers that are now out and may produce some seed pods before too long. Interestingly, all parts of this tree are edible. The leaves are so nutritious that they are fed, in powder form, to starving children in other countries to help provide a balanced diet.

Both plants have been located, part time, on my balcony in full sun and then other times in my screened in porch where they have received only afternoon sun. Either way, they seem to like the conditions just fine!

I’ve had to water them each and every day as they seem to go through a lot. My one concern, right now, is how well they will fare this coming winter. These are true tropical trees and, as such, don’t respond well to temps lower than 50F.

Even if they don’t make it, they’ve been fun to watch and if I do get a few seeds from them, I’ll have some to plant next spring!

No comments: