Monday, October 17, 2011

Lettuce starts go into Cold Frame for the winter!


Since I had a few romaine lettuce plants that were doing pretty well in the general garden, I thought it might be fun to transplants them into one of my two small cold frames for the winter. I call them CF1 and CF2 so I can keep them straight in my garden diary.

CF1 already had a couple of small kale plants growing in it while CF2 had two small basils. The basil will be a real challenge to keep alive this winter I can tell you that. Anything much below 40F and they’ll be goners for sure!

I also thought to place a wireless temperature sensor in CF1 to keep an eye on just how cold they will be getting. Generally speaking, temperatures are not a problem until sometime in December when things can get a little dicey. But, right now, the daily highs normal in the mid fifties, the growing conditions will be just right for them to get some growth on prior to winter.

No comments: