Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Homemade scalloped potatoes taste great!

Even though I am late in life, I’ve never prepared scalloped potatoes from scratch! In the past, whenever the urge hit me, I would just grab a package of Betty Crocker Scalloped Potatoes from the cupboard and twenty minutes later they were ready to go. But this Thanksgiving, things changed. I had been invited across the street to a neighbor’s house where everyone was to bring a covered dish. My thought was, sure I can do that!

Thanksgiving Day can and I began to have second thoughts, but then came across a simple recipe on the Internet for Scalloped Potatoes. I had all the ingredients and decided what the heck. I would give this a try. You can view the results in my You Tube video.

The problem was, after making the dish, I chickened out and grabbed a box of the commercial stuff so I could make a ‘safe’ dish. You see, never having made this before I was afraid to be serving it to friends. So, I made up a second batch to take with me. Well, while I was making the boxed preparation, I happened to glance at the nutritional label and was shocked to see that the sodium level was through the roof. I think it was something like 600-800 mg of salt per serving (depending on serving size)! My dish was nowhere near that much at something like 173 mg per ‘generous 123 gram’ serving. Also, once I began to think about it, making the recipe from scratch was not really harder to do, but it was definitely cheaper!

So, the next time you are thinking about what to make for dinner. Give scalloped potatoes from scratch a try!

No comments: