Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A fall mini romaine crop!

There must be something about cold frames and cool fall weather that brings the best out in crops like lettuce. I realize my best quality and largest leaves by growing plants in this manner. As you can see, this is one healthy group of plants! The leaves are so dark and crunchy that they make a solid impact as a base of any salad.

I’ve been growing a small amount of romaine and even spinach this way for some years now. I usually will start a few lettuce plants in early August and will have the resulting seedlings to transplant size by the start of September. Before I know it, I’ve got myself an award winning crop. My only regret is that I didn’t build some more of these frames over the summer. Still, by mixing these in with some store bought iceberg lettuce, I’ll have enough to last me into December.

3 comments:

Rusty said...

Looks great. Bet they are tastey. I I didn't plant mine until the second week of October, but it's doing well, too. I think last week for some reason was the best week for the lettuce. They really took off.
I enjoy your updates on your cold frame. Keep them coming!

Rusty (R.E.) said...

Did you have any Lettuce this New Year's out of your cold frame?

Dan Owen said...

Yes Rusty, I still have romaine growing in both cold frames. Actually, they aren't growing so much as they are hibernating. Thanks for the comment!