Monday, November 8, 2010

A pleasant garden surprise - Curly Kale!

One of the biggest surprises to me for the gardening season that just ended was a plant called curly kale. I figured it to be a rough tasting thick skin offshoot of the cabbage family and really failed to understand why anyone would like to steam it as part of a dinner. Well, I was wrong again as it turns out. (Something I’ve gotten used to over the years). This plant tastes awesome when taken fresh from a steamer and then lathered with a bit of butter, salt and pepper. It has a wonderful texture with just a hint of the taste of cabbage. I’ve added it to my evening meals and plan to grow three to four plants next year. (Just one plant provides an awful lot). And did I mention it can fend off really cold temperatures? One morning it got down to 24F and while that pretty much killed everything else that wasn’t covered, the kale brushed it off like water off a ducks back.

No comments: