Saturday, August 14, 2010

Time to plant that fall lettuce!


I got out this morning and attacked the weeds that had sprouted all over my small raised beds. It was overcast for a change and also a little cooler. While I was at it, I also took out any plants that I felt whose time had come. (That was most of them).

After this arduous task was done, I trenched in some table scraps, broke up the soil as best I could and got them ready for winter. Over the next couple of months, all the scraps from the kitchen (about two pounds per week) will go into the soil. I may then elect to sow some winter rye or other cereal grain to help further improve the overall tilth. By doing this, I will be able to avoid having to purchase any amendments come next spring.

My next chore was to get a couple of starter trays ready to accept romaine seed. I plan on starting twelve plants this weekend and then another twelve next. Once up and growing (in about two weeks), they will be planted in a small section of one of the three raised beds with a few going into the cold frames in my front yard. If all goes well, I’ll have about thirty plants by the end of September (45 days from now).  A few plants will go into the cold frames for an even later harvest.

When planting lettuce seed, I try and make sure to keep them close to the surface of the soil as they require light to germinate. Also, I watch out for the temperature as I like to place my starter trays outside in the shade. If it gets too warm I make sure to bring them inside. (Lettuce seed germinate best in the mid to upper seventy degree range). A last note, if the seed I am using is fresh, I will generally plant only one per cell. If, on the other hand, they are from a previous season, I will go with two or three. You can always thin the herd later on if need be.

No comments: