Wednesday, September 22, 2010

End of season notes.

Fall Comith

Well, lo and behold, it’s now almost fall now. Actually the official start will be a couple of days from now on September the 23rd. That’s the date when the sun crosses the equator on its voyage to the southern parts of good old planet earth. If I remember my geology correctly, about the only continent that wholly benefits from the warmer weather will be Australia. Blimey mate. (At least the Roo’s will be happy as they hippy-hop all over the place).

Here in the northern latitudes (36 degrees north for me), the days are now getting noticeably shorter and cooler. The chart above represents the actual drop in temperature in the late afternoon to evening hours. The sky, that night, was slightly overcast to partly cloudy with a very light to no wind from the west. I was able to turn off the AC and open the doors! After surviving a very warm summer, temperatures like these are most welcome. (I guess radiative cooling is not a bad thing at this time of year. It’s when we get into winter that it can be a bit brutal).

A Late Sowing of Little Caesar Romaine

Since I had some seed left over, I thought it might be fun to plant a couple of rows of romaine in the outdoor garden even though it is kind of late to be doing that. Arguably I have plenty of time (sixty plus days). Problem is that the beds out back are close enough to the north facing back wall that the sun will not be getting to the plants come sometime in October. I figure if the plants are of any size at all I’ll try transplanted then out in front of the house where I have a little space. I’m not sure how well they will transplant but that will be another lesson for me to learn when the time comes.

No comments: