Wednesday, September 8, 2010

September means cooler weather!

September is here and not a month too soon! Magically, the brutal temperature regime we had been experiencing in southwest Missouri has now moderated considerably. (As I write this tome, the mid-day reading was a very comfortable 72F). Part of this was due to overcast skies heralding arrival of the remains of tropical depression Hermine. (A much diminished low pressure system whose name could well be changed to Hermie).

With the official first day of fall arriving on the 23rd of this month and with a few days of rainy weather pending, I thought it might be a good idea to transplant my small romaine lettuce starts out into my small cold frames. Right now I have about twelve small starter plants with about ten more on the way. I plan to put a few out every week or so until I have the eleven square foot combined space used up. The soil will be amended with a little leftover blood meal I have in the basement and that will be pretty much it.

Sometime around mid October I expect to have some edible plants to harvest. Any remaining plants will be covered with window panes by the end of that month to help keep them warm and happy when the weather gets cold.

No comments: