Monday, September 6, 2010

Another Mystery Vine – solved… or… maybe not!

Here in southwest Missouri, it’s now getting to be late summer. Bummer. It’s been a pretty good growing season for me and I’ve had lots of great veggies as a result. But as of now (early September), most of my plants are pretty much done and seem ready to throw in the towel. That is, with the sole exception of another vine plant that began to grow spontaneously by a rear retaining wall a few weeks back. I noticed it back then, but decided what the heck and let it be. Well, it continued to grow and thrive as though it was springtime!

Fast forward to this now and my goodness how large and sprawling this vine has become. (I suppose it must of really like that particular spot). When I checked among the large leaves, I was surprised to see a pretty good sized watermelon growing there with another just getting started. Wow! At least I think it’s a watermelon. Now the question is will it make to maturity before the weather get cold? Another good one will be whether or not it will be edible? This is a ‘parent unknown’ case to be sure.

2 comments:

thyme2garden said...

How cool that this plant grew all by itself without any effort or babying on your part. The leaves look more like squash leaves, though, rather than the more typically frilly/multi-lobed watermelon leaves. I'm interested to see how that mystery fruit develops!

Dan Owen said...

Thanks for the comment. Yes, I think you are right! The leaves are more squash like than anything else. I'll do another post in a couple of weeks. There are now three fruit on the vines.