Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Beware of bargain seed packets!

By now most of us are aware that more is just shrinking besides the dollar. Have you had a Big Mac lately? It’s now more like a Little Bud if you get my drift. A hamburger that used to fill two hands, now rests comfortably in just one!

The same is true of seed packets. The seeds packets are the same size, but not the contents. I recently purchased a packet from American Seed (they also make the NK brand) from my local grocery store. It contained radish seed known as Sparkler White Tip. For fifty nine cents plus tax, I got 86 seeds. That’s pretty close to a penny a seed! (Check out my article on the high cost of seed here). Did you know you can let a few plants go to seed in the summer and then harvest them for free? I did this last season a variety call Cherry Belle which is open pollinated and not a hybrid.

As a matter of fact, you can save the seed from many of your common veggies and reap huge saving in the process. Happy Gardening!

No comments: