Monday, March 21, 2011

Spring lettuce seed starts!


While life has gotten in the way of my garden plans for this summer, I am still making an effort to begin a few plants to help ease what happening at the grocery stores. This year I am once again planting a variety called Little Caesar romaine lettuce that is offered by Burpee Seeds. Romaine’s cannot be beat for nutrition and taste!

I elected to start my plants, this season, in peat trays that can be purchased at local garden stores. They help make the process fast and simple. For a stating soil mix, I’m using Miracle Gro potting mix which is sterile and already has fertilizer in it.

In the first picture, I’ve planted single seeds, one per cell in to the soil mix which has been dampened prior to planting. The whole process takes maybe a half hour with most of that time spent waiting for the soil to get damp. The seeds are then covered with a simple plastic baggie ( I like to re-use old baggies this way) and placed under a two bulb grow light to await germination. This usually just take three or four day as you can see in the second picture here.

No comments: