Thursday, March 24, 2011

Well, I got some beans planted, anyway!

I think the motto for the Marines goes something like ‘adapt, improvise and overcome’. I heard that phrase in the movie Heartbreak Ridge and have tried to make it my mantra for gardening this year. During every new season there are usually some problems that are encountered and this year was no different. Somehow, due to a family emergency, I was unable to get my onion sets in on time and now the local stores are out of them. I would order them through the internet but abhor having to pay the shipping costs which have been rising due to fuel costs. The same deal goes for seed potatoes, but in that case I plan to use potatoes that come in the bag at the store. I’ve heard they have an organic retardant sprayed on them, but also that this works for only a short time before they sprout anyway.

Also, my lettuce and pepper starts that I usually begin in late February are really behind the curve this year. I may actually have to buy some starts at the local garden center which really defeats part of the purpose for growing them on my own. Guess that’s where the ‘adapt’ thing comes in.

I did manage, however, to get some bean seeds planted on time during a windy and warm early spring day this March. I prepared a small raised bed area and planted about twenty Kentucky Pole beans in a two by two foot area. At least I think that’s what they are. These seeds were collected last fall from plants I let fully mature. (A character flaw that prevents me from marking the bag I placed them in). So, I’m really only guessing these are pole as opposed to a bush variety. Time will tell and anyway, it will add to the mystery of the harvest. As they say.

No comments: