Thursday, May 19, 2011

Moringa plant update for May 2011

It’s been close to a month since my last Moringa plant update and I have an admission to make. There are actually two plants. One was started in early March and the other a few weeks later. The later plant was sickly and I didn’t think it would make it. So far, it’s proved me wrong.

To help keep them straight, I’ve decided to call one Berta Bush and the later plant, Mr. Floppers. I came up with these names as they describe them rather well. Bertha has become all bushy like while Mr. Floppers earned his moniker by flopping over dead every time I initially took him outside for some fresh air.

I’ve come to realize that each Moringa that I’ve grown from seed, so far, exhibits characteristics that make each unique. Like people, they can be tall and skinny or fat and…well, bushy. They also do not tolerate cold weather at all. My original starts that were grown in the winter months quickly succumbed to mites. Bertha and Mr. Floppers, however, seem to be doing just fine. I’ve made sure to bring them inside on cold nights and have limited their exposure to direct sunlight so far. Now, as the weather warms, I hope to leave them outside more and more. Bertha is even beginning to show some toughening of her lower stem. (These plants are trees after all)!

My plan, at this time will be to eventually transplant Bertha into a larger ceramic pot where she will be maintained while Floppers will go into the ground outside next to my garden. (I’m, not sure how he feels about that idea at this point).  Moringa’s are said to be quick growers in their native county of India. Some can grow over fifteen feet in just one season! Time will tell as to how well these two do.

No comments: