Friday, May 13, 2011

A plant of many names!

Known by names like Air Plant, Life-plant, Cathedral Bells, Floppers (?), Mexican Love Plant, and the Mother-in-Law Plant, this succulent is very easy to grow and typically puts out some rather interesting long lasting pink flowers in the late spring and early summer.

The plant is a member of the Crassulacea Family, Genus Kalanchoe. One of the traits of this family is that it readily produces new little plants from any leaves that fall onto the ground. This is pretty cool and that is the way I am starting my own plant from a leaf that was donated by a neighbor. Actually, it’s so easy to grow that in Florida it is listed as a Category Two Invasive by the Florida Exotic Pest Plant Council (FLEPPC). This plant is spreading in natural areas in central and southern Florida and the Keys (zones 9a through 11), but is stopped in areas that see temperatures that fall to or below 40F.

It grows best on a loose soil that is high in peat (good drainage). I’m told that too much water will kill it, so I will try and keep that in mind as I monitor its progress. I hope to do a follow up on this rather interesting plant later this summer. If this plant gets big and anyone wants some leaves from it, please let me know.

No comments: