Saturday, May 28, 2011

The rains have begun to let up and it’s actually warm outside!

After what has been a very wet beginning to the growing season, (two feet of water in the last six weeks), things are beginning to look up here in my little corner of southwest Missouri.

Even during the wet and cool days of the last few weeks, my raised beds plantings have done OK. The fact that they are raised up above ground level a little has probably helped a lot. Now, the weather service is beginning to call for somewhat dryer conditions and much warmer weather. Bout time!

One of the first to respond has been the zucchini plants that a friend talked me into planting. I think there are two varieties, a gooseneck and a regular zucchini, although I could not swear to it. (In years past, I could have told you the exact variety, when it was planted and how much water the darn thing had received. That was when my OCD reigned supreme. Now, I intentionally just let go and have fun). This will be my first year at trying to grow this vegetable. I’ve also never tasted it and look forward to the experience.

No comments: