Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Purple Coneflowers are enjoying the heat!


After a wet ending to April here in southwest Missouri, a month that also saw cooler than normal temperatures, June did a 360 and has turned out hot and dry. The combo, however, seems to have had a good effect on my plantings of Echinacea purpurea or Purple Coneflower. I have two plantings that were started from seed a few years ago. Once established, I understand they can also be easily divided.

I planted them originally to experiment with, health wise. I’ve heard the roots can help prevent or lessen the severity of colds if prepared as an infusion. So far, I haven’t gotten that done, but would love to hear form anyone that has. Studies that I’ve read seem divided as to this plants immune system stimulating ability. I did notice that American Indians used the plant as part of their medical culture and think that lend some credibility.

No comments: