Tuesday, June 28, 2011

It's summertime. Yahoo!

Awe, summertime! A time that brings the occasional overnight shower (last night half an inch) followed by cool delightful mornings that quickly turn into sizzler hot days. Certainly, a good time to be out and about amongst young veggies in the making. And even though my raised beds don’t amount to much in terms of space, they make up for it in the diverse crops that become welcome additions to my cash strapped grocery budget.

Today, a first for me! I harvested two bunches of garlic! I’m so proud too. These will be allowed to dry out and then will become part of a recipe I have planned for later in the month when my zucchini and crooked necked squash get large enough to harvest. While the zucchini has not been a problem, my squash has tended to rot before getting very large. Anyone have any ideas out there? Maybe I should put up a small trellis to get them off the ground. Don’t know for sure.

The recipe I’m planning to make is called Calabacitas which I understand is the Spanish word for zucchini. The recipe combines squash, zucchini, onion, garlic, green chili and cilantro along with some herbs to make a real south of the border taste treat. I’ve elected to make this my first ever taste of squash or zucchini. (That deal will be the subject of another blog). Right now, everything’s ready to go except members from the aforementioned gourd family.

3 comments:

thyme2garden said...

Dan, your first garlic harvest looks great! Is it hardneck or softneck garlic?

Dan Owen said...

To tell the truth, I'm not sure. How can you tell?

thyme2garden said...

Where did the garlic come from that you planted? If you got them from a grocery store (like I did), then it's most likely softneck garlic. If they came from a seed catalog, then hardneck, I think.

Did you get any garlic scapes this spring? If yes, then most likely hardneck, if no, then most likely softneck.

Since you're curing your garlic, you probably haven't cut off the stems and/or peeled your garlic. But if you open up your garlic head to separate out the cloves, I think you can tell. Hardneck is supposed to have a hard stem that goes through the middle of the garlic head. Softneck garlic will not have this middle stem, but just more smaller cloves in the middle.