Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Today’s menu will be carrots, onions and cabbage!

It’s about that time of the year when the heat of the day makes me want to hole up inside and scrounge my lunch out of whatever is available. This generally includes a trip or two to the fridge and then a glance out the window to see if there is anything growing in the garden that might be worth eating.

Today I was lucky in finding a small group of onions that never got very large. I brought these inside and added them to some carrots and a small leftover wedge of cabbage. After peeling the carrots and cutting them into equal sized chunks, I tossed everything into my steamer. After about fifteen minutes, I had the making of a pretty good meal. In the back of the cupboard I also found a can of cut green beans that got nuked in the microwave and voila! Lunch vegetarian style! This filling meal totaled just over a hundred calories including two pats of butter!

2 comments:

Duane said...

Sounds great! When did you plant your carrots and what was the variety? I just harvested a Garden King that I planted April 27. It was one inch around and 3 1/2 inches long. Yours looks good (assuming you got them out of your garden).

Dan Owen said...

Sad to say, these were store bought carrots. This years crop was ravaged by rabbits. I will have a small crop yet, if I can keep the critters from eating the tops! Thanks for your comments!