Tuesday, July 19, 2011

It's a baby zucchini! I'm so proud!

Golly, it seems garden my journal for 2011 has begun to take on a monolithic tone as all I seem to talk about are my efforts at growing squash and zucchini. (That could well be because the only things now growing in my sun parched garden patch are members of the gourd family).

My first plants located in the back yard were immediately and savagely attacked by stripped cucumber beetles in conjunction with their alley, the squash bug. Before I even knew what was going on, they had all wilted and then left the planet for squash heaven.

While this was going on, I also managed to lose track of the other plants I was raising, and they too faded away. So, the back yard was a total loss! Now, I have little or no desire to go for a fall garden (i.e wounded ego). I may change my mind, but if I do so, it will have to after the current heat wave decides to let up.

The front yard area, however, has been another story. A success story! Earlier in the year, I had thrown all my extra veggies and herbs in that location and what to my wondering eyes, they have done pretty well. For some reason, all those bad bugs & beetles missed this one spot. Nary a one spotted in the last few weeks and the zucchini picture here are at the absolute height of well being and happiness. Dare I say it, but I just might get my very first ever zucchini from one of these plants very soon. I'm now wondering what the right size a zucchini should be for me to harvest for peak flavor?

No comments: