Saturday, December 24, 2011

Growing onions are popular! Who knew?


For many years now I've made it a habit of grabbing a small bag of onion sets in late winter at my local frocery store to plant in and around my two raised beds. Each bag generally contains something like 40 to 50 minature onions that, once place in the soil, require very little maintenance. Then every summer and fall, I have had a continuous supply for salads, soups and burgers.

But, imagine my surprise when a short video I made on YouTube two years ago, became popular. In fact it has received over seventy thousand views so far, to date. That was amazing to me, at first, but after thinking about it for a while maybe it's fitting. When you take home gardening as a pastime, it far surpasses most other hobbies by an incredible margin. Someone once told me that the money spent on home gardens in America even surpasses all the money made in professional sports!

This coming season, I think I might even consider doing a few more videos that focus on garden basics. I've come to realize that there is a whole new generation of young people out there who want to learn to garden but who lack some of the basic knowledge required to do so. So, we'll see what I come up with.

No comments: