Thursday, December 22, 2011

January is the pits for us gardeners!


Forsyth Mo. - At least for many of us here in the Midwest, and even though my birthday falls in the month of January, it's still my least favorite time of the year. Sure, the days are getting marginally longer (from Jan 1 a day will be 19 hours and 39 minutes to Jan 31 when they will be 10 hours and 19 minutes), but so what? I mean who can jump up and down when the average temperature is the same as the freezing point of water? Give me July and those nice and hot fourteen hour plus days!

At this time of year the garden out my window looks to be beyond repair. The ground is frozen and pretty much the only thing growing (outside of my cold frames) is a couple of hardy kale plants! I guess I could spend my time looking at garden seed catalogs per chance that I might dream of a garden yet to come… but that’s not as fulfilling as the real deal.

Speaking of catalogs! Have you seen the price they are charging for seed? Add in the hefty shipping charges and I don’t see how anyone would want to buy anything over the internet. This year, like the last, I’m planning to go to a garden center like Home Depot where I can get the same seed for half the price! I also need to plan on buying some more soil and compost to rejuvenate what's already in the raised beds. Every year the amount of soil seems to go down and I have no idea of what happened to it!

One of my other challenges for the coming spring will be what to do about the wooden borders on one of my raised beds. The lumber is rotting and needs to be replaced. Trouble is, the cost of lumber has gone sky high also. I may elect to make some trips to a nearby river where I can haul up some rocks to use instead. Hey! The exercise couldn’t hurt either!

No comments: