Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Have old seed? Will plant them anyway!

That pretty much sums up my philosophy on gardening. I hoard seed packets, even those that have gone well beyond their 'freshness' date. No mind, I've been able to germinate Banana-Rama pepper seed that is two years old, and as you can see they are growing nicely! It took these little beauties about two weeks to get going, but I'll tell you true – the effort will be worth it this august when I'm harvesting the slightly hot tasting fruit for my salads!

My older (seed lot 2012) romaine lettuce seeding starts are also doing very well after just a few weeks of being grown indoors under lights! I hope to start hardening them off starting next week (the first week of April) for planting out front. This variety is called Little Caesar and was purchased from the Burpee Seed Company. These hardy and crisp leaved plants bring a lot more to the nutritional table than does the standard loose leaf varieties! They also seem to do very well down here in southwest Missouri!

No comments: