Tuesday, March 4, 2014

YS3514 onion set experiment for 2014!

Small onions from 2013
Last year, I experimented with planting a bunch of onion sets with some limited success. And, while I was able to harvest some medium sized onions (average weight was 43 grams), I was still a bit disappointed with the small sizes. The good news was that I had a lot of small onions and they served me well on into the fall months.

This year (2014), I plan to use the same raised bed space, but with the following changes; 1) I plan to incorporate soil from one of my older backyard raised bed areas. This soil has a high clay content and onions planted in this soil last year did well, and 2) I plan to amend the soil with additional compost prior to planting. The designation for this experiment will be YS3514 which is an abbreviation for yellow sets planted on March 5th in 2014. Stay tuned for more details to be added to this post. Right now I'm waiting for a five inch snowfall to melt... The notes from last years effort can be found here.

March 5, 2014 planting!

April 17 update: Here is a look at the onion sets that are located in a small raised bed.


May 21 update: Onions were looking very good!


No comments: