Sunday, May 25, 2014

My garden in southwest Missouri is still free of bad bugs!

As we get ever so close to the first of June, the traditional start of the bug season, I have some good news to report!

Japanese beetles = 0
Tomato cutworms = 0
Flea beetles = 0
Leaf miners = 0
Aphids = 0
Tomato hornworms = 0

This is the first season where my small planting of leaf lettuce, tomatoes and peppers have remained relatively unscathed from any form of attack. Usually there have been problems by now – Note the following May 20th, 2013 log entry:

11:14 AM – The temperature was 70.7°F. Winds were calm and the sky was overcast. I grilled four chicken drumsticks this date. I also cooked a hamburger for lunch. I also published a post about comparing burgers.

I planted out 2 Park Whopper tomatoes of the original four into RB2. All 4 are infested with flea beetles that have left a shotgun pattern of holes in their leaves.

This year, all the plants have been free of these tiny critters as well as larger animal critters that seem to like to dig and uproot plants! So, so far so good! However, June will be coming around and when it does I can expect to see a few of the bad bugs make an appearance!

No comments: