Friday, May 16, 2014

May garden notes!

Straight Eight cucumber
It's now mid May and my raised bed areas, many of which are now in my front yard for ease of access, are beginning to show some results! Even after we got a milt frost this morning when I arose! Most notable are the cucumber plants I bought a few weeks ago as starts and which are now showing fruit. I also have some tiny peppers of a variety I think are of a California Wonder variety. Many of my tomato plants also now have blooms on them also. The weather, here in southwest Missouri has been agreeable with temperatures running at or near normal for the season. Rainfall, which had been lacking has also picked up and we may even finish the month close to the normal amount of four inches!
Big Bertha variety pepper

At some point, in the near future, I'm hoping to begin harvesting some leaf lettuce, onions, cucumbers and maybe even a cherry tomato or two. Then, by late June, I fully expect that the main season tomatoes and pepper plants will begin to yield a bountiful harvest. This year is already far ahead of the poor results I had in 2013.

Stats for Forsyth MO as of 5/15/14 - Average Hi 78F Low 51 | Avg 64.1F| Rainfall 2.96"

No comments: