Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Early Cucumber and garlic harvest!


I know that it's still spring, but already I've harvested my very first cucumber of the 2014 season along with a couple of garlic cloves. That's the kind of year it's been – everything has matured early on.

The cucumber was grown in a pot using Miracle Gro potting mix. It's a burp-less variety I got earlier in the year at a nursery as a small start. There is a twin plant growing in a small raised bed, but so far lots of flowers with no cukes!

Of note is the fact that the temperatures for June have averaged a full seven degrees above normal! So, the added heat may have contributed to early crops like cucumbers while other crops like my lettuce have tended to bolt!

The tomato crop continues to look promising – they do love the heat don't ya know. And, with the plentiful rain we been getting, I haven't had to worry very much about them getting enough water.Interestingly, the problems I normally have with insects and worms are pretty much a non issue thus far. Nor have the deer been a problem! I;ll just keep crossing my fingers as the season moves on forward.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Christy and I are worried did you get 86'd or quit FB
rcjohnson60 @gmail.com