Friday, June 6, 2014

No Japanese beetles sighted in early June 2014!

Every year, right at about the start of June, my garden areas have been assaulted by Japanese Beetles. These insects crawl out of the grown and then go after about any thing they happen to land on. I've had entire raised bed crops decimated overnight! So, this year, I've keep a sharp eye out for these distinctive looking little critters. Only, they somehow must have missed the wake up call. I've not seen a single beetle thus far!

My theory, as to what happened, centers around the very cold winter we all just went through. It might be possible that the deep and prolonged freezing of the ground may have killed off the larvae. If true, then it may take them a number of years to make any significant return. A possibility that I can live with! At any rate, I still plan to watch for them for another week or two!

No comments: