Sunday, June 13, 2010

My Great Northern Bean Experiment

Way earlier this season, I think it was sometime around February, I was eating a plate of beans when a thought struck me. I got to wondering about how these beans, which I buy by the bagful at the store, were grown. I wondered if Great Northern Beans were a bush bean or pole bean (for that matter are they a hybrid?). I wondered if I could eat them when the pods were young. Finally, I wondered about how productive such a plant would be. That is to say, how many dried beans could be harvested from an average mature plant and what other factors might inhibit or enhance said production So, that thought turned into an experiment of sorts for me to try this spring and summer.

Along about the middle of April, I planted 25 beans in a small two by two foot area in a raised bed I have out back. I was surprised when after just a few days, most of the beans germinated. In just two short months they went from small to mature and my first two questions were therefore answered. Beans fresh out of the bag do readily germinate and the resulting plant is of the bush variety. By mid June, Each plant was sporting approximately twenty five bean pods with about six little beans in each pod or about 150 dried beans per plant.

I harvested a few of these to cook up in boiling water after first de-stringing them and then cutting them up into small pieces. Once done, I added a little butter and some salt and pepper. They tasted marvelous. So question number three was answered in the affirmative.

Now, I have to wait for the remaining pods to fully mature after which I will carefully harvest the plants to get an idea of the average number of dried bans that can be had per plant. From this data, I can come up with some idea of how many would need to be planted to support a person if that was all they had to eat. I’ll also get an idea of how many new beans a single bean produces. I’ll write about that in a future blog and also plan to have a You Tube Video on this on the Danomanno Channel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Last year, since I, too, wasn't sure if they were bush or pole, I planted Great Northerns as a row. They grew well into plants I would call 'semi-bush': an upright bushy plant, with short (12-18") runners on the ends of some of the stems. I saved part of the mature seeds, and planted as a bed this year, since I was expecting more of the same. Instead, I have had to add strings & supports, as they grew as full fledged pole beans, with the runners 4-6 feet long. They are bearing heavily, as they did last year.