Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tomatoes in bloom….finally!


To hear it told, all my friends who are growing tomatoes this year have large fruit already on the vine! And it’s only the beginning of June! When asked how my plants are doing, I try and mumble my way through the answer. In truth, up until recently, my plants were pretty darn small measuring less than a foot in height. But, over the last couple of weeks they have really begin to take off. All, that is, with the exception of one lone potted plant that has been residing on my balcony. A balcony that faces north, by the way. This little plant is…well… still rather little. So, I’ve moved it to the front of the house which faces south to see if it will catch up.That's it on the left in the picture.

All together, I have a total of seven inderminate (or climbing) plants and eight cherry tomatoes plants growing this year. The seven mid season plants are composed of two Brandywine and four Better Boy varieties. The cherry tomatoes were grown from seed I had and I think are called Sweet 100. These are also pretty small right now but should take off as things warm up.

So, OK, maybe my ‘mater’ will be a little bit long in coming, but I don’t care. Just so long as I actually get to enjoy a few. Deer sighting have been nil so far this season which gives me some hope.

No comments: