Saturday, April 5, 2014

April is not tomato planting out time!

Forsyth MO. - While visiting a local greenhouse (Hills and Hollows Gardens), I bought 2 four pack of tomatoes for fun. One was Better Boy, and indeterminate type tomato I've grown successfully before while the other four were MarGlobe tomatoes. A determinate variety that I later discovered was a popular heirloom tomato. I figured these starts would fit right in with the four Brandywine Pink tomatoes I was already growing from seed! The trouble was the time of year. Early April down here in southwest Missouri can still offer up some frosty mornings right through the middle of the month! So, I was gonna have to wait until near the end of the month to plant these babies outside.
MarGlobes now room to grow while they are waiting!

No problem. I have plenty of pots around my place and merely transplanted each of the starts to its own pot using Miracle Gro potting mix to fill each container. The added room will allow the plants to keep growing at a good rate while I wait for better and warmer climes. Then, later in the month when I can see that the weather has settled, I plan to plant them out into a raised bed out back. My only concerns when I do that will be the local deer that like to eat them. To that end, I plan to put metal cadges around each plant! Then, when the fruits finally mature later in the summer time, I plan to do a comparison of each in a tasting contest with some friends.

No comments: