Saturday, April 19, 2014

Cherry tomato plants go in lightening struck ground!

My motto - leave no unused patch of soil unused!
A few years ago, I think it was 2010, a lightening bolt struck the ground next to a stately bush and killed it. It then took until earlier this year for the heavy wooden trunk and roots to rot out. When they did, I realized that this looked like pretty fertile earth and decided to make use of it!

After prepared the soil (no amendment needed), I enclosed the 15 inch square space with wood framing material that had been left over form another project. This will hopefully keep the aggressive fescue grass from invading the space as as the tomato plants grow and do their thing! As, always, I'll try and update this article as the season progresses, especially if I can get some cherry tomatoes in July or August – a time when a small one pound basket is selling for as much as $4!

On a more concerning note, I noticed that the ground in this area of my yard was loaded with grubs!

No comments: