Friday, March 28, 2008

A Nifty Storage Container

As I anticipate my vegetable harvests to come, I would like to share what a great storage container I’ve found little butter container to be. Last summer I was just about to throw one of these out (it was a Parkay margarine container) when it struck me that it might make a good container to freeze the many soups and sauces I like to make. I was looking, at that time, for a way to freeze up small portions of my vegetable beef soup and spaghetti sauce that traditionally went bad after a short time in the fridge. In the case of the Parkay container, I found each would hold about 7 ounces of soup or sauce. This turned out to be just about right for the diet I was on at the time. In the case of the soup, each serving had about 150 calories, was low in cholesterol and saturated fat and (because I did not use any) was reasonably low in sodium. As time went on, I began to collect these little guys rather than throwing them away. I made sure to clean them well (they survive the dishwasher) and then make up large batches of a sauce or soup that gets placed into the deep freeze while the contents are still hot. So far, I have never been sick as a result and feel like I’m doing a little to recycle.

No comments: