Saturday, March 29, 2008

Rain, rain, go away…

Yes, welcome to Water World, formerly known as Forsyth Missouri! It’s a Saturday and as I sit here, the rain is gently fall outside. Actually its been falling a lot lately. I can’t help but think that perhaps we may not have to worry about a nasty old drought this year after all! It’s only the end of March and this area has had over fourteen inches of rain with more forecast over the next few days. Average rainfall through March ( for Branson Mo. would be 8.2 inches so we are some 6 inches ahead (the actual figures for today, March 29 at 12 noon, are 14.30” – 8.2” = 6.1” ahead). As a result, the local rivers are often out of their banks and the dam system is struggling to get a handle on all the runoff. All this water does have some good effects not the least of which is the replenishment of the local water table.

On days like this when I'm couped up in the house and I have a choice between housework and goofing off. Well you know how that works. I went out into my garage and prepared a new 35 cell tray of starter cells for the reception of seeds that are to be announced. I also prepared a small 12 seed starter set and planted some Four Seasons lettuce in them. These red tinged lettuce plants will add some color to my spring salads when they are mature in about 45 days. The seed starters I use quite often are made by Park Seed and are called Park Starts. I order most of my garden supplies from either Burpee Seed or Park Seed and have never been let down.

No comments: