Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cold Frame #2


Yes, I’m at it again with the building of my second cold frame in less than a month. Does one man need two Cold Frames? Apparently, yes they do. Winter is coming and the price of lettuce at the local market is at an all time high. I love my salads (it’s a diet thing) and with lettuce at almost $2 per head, I now have plenty of incentive to grow my own.


The addition of a second 36 inch by 24 inch frame box will give me another 5.8 square feet of growing space. So, the two combined will allow me to grow about 12 to 14 plants at any one time. If I start 4 seeds every two weeks that will assure me a steady harvest of lettuce though out the wintertime and on into spring.

The construction will be documented in a video call Building a Cold Frame Part 2 and will be published on You Tube, I hope.


I had been concerned about the survival of young lettuce plants when it gets really cold outside. Recently we have seen temperatures that have dropped down to the low thirties and I am happy to report that conditions inside the box have remained in the fifty degree range. I have also installed an electric cord with a light bulb on one end to help warm things up in case it gets really cold outside.

No comments: