Sunday, November 16, 2008

Got er Done!

Today was Sunday and it was nicer out than I had thought it would get. we started this morning at 27F but finished with the low fifties. The painting of the frame went quickly as did the did of the hole it would go in. I think the hole deal was about an hour or so. I have also equipped this frame with an internal wireless temperature sensor that is very closely matched to the one on the other frame. right now they bot are in close agreement with CF1 reading 55.4F and the newer CF2 reading 53.1F. As it turned out I did not have to purchase any vermiculite as by mistake, I bought three bags of Scott's Premium potting mix. This was a lot more money than I wanted to spend for this project, but since its done I went ahead and filled CF2 with 2 bags or 2 cubic feet of the stuff. I also have three trays of starter lettuce and spinach plants hardening off in the garage. I will plant these out into the new cold frame sometime early this coming week. The weather service is expecting temperatures to go on a roller coaster ride with cold fronts coming into our area every other day or so. I'm not too worried, however as early this morning when the temperature read a frigid 27F, the atmosphere in CF1 was a balmy 59F. I had covered it last night with two layers and made sure to leave the small 40 watt bulb on also.

No comments: