Sunday, November 23, 2008

Cold Frame construction - Using 2x4's

In response to numerous requests (actually only 2), I wanted to clear the record on what you need when building a cold frame. Actually any materials will do. I’ve seen cold frames made out of plastic, wood, concrete and blocks of soil. Any material that will; act as a thermal barrier, can be tilted to face south and has a lid that admits light will work. I built mine out of 2x4’s as I had a pile of them lying around so the price was right.

I built the frame by working from the top down. That is I started by measuring an old window frame I scored from a friend, measured it and then cut four pieces of lumber to creat a frame. I then too another piece of lumber and four ‘legs’. Two measured 14 inches and two 9 inches. There were nailed to the four corner of the frame to which were added more lengths of wood until I have a box that measured about a foot and a half

deep. There was no bottom to this box. I merely dug a hole in the ground that was also slanted back to front. I then layered in a sheet of weed blocking material, placed the frame over it and then affixed the window sash to the top with the aid of two hinges. During the construction, I used about forty galvanized nails which cost me a few dollars at the local hardware store. Other than that and the labor, the cost to build was nothing. My only other cost was involved in purchasing three cubic feet of potting soil. I used Miracle Gro for CF#1 and Scott's Premium potting mix for the second one. Both are good. You can use whatever soil you choose, just make sure it is weed free.



No comments: